Thursday, January 24, 2013

WOW!

Online schooling: a concept I truly never thought to consider. I had always seen the commercials of online colleges and heard of online classes in both high school and college, but I honestly never even thought that K-12 would become an option in cyber world.I think this is magnificent just for those students who truly do struggle with attending school. I have known many kids who struggled with anxiety, bullying, and sheer discomfort in the school system so frequently they felt it easier to drop out and the majority are still yet to return. As revolutionary as this is, I am surprised I had never heard about it which leads me to believe maybe a lot of children and parents haven't either. I do have some concerns:
          In many instances, internet is not a truly reliable source and though most places do have it, some do not. I have witnessed how easy it is to get behind and it seems nearly impossible to catch up each time. 
            What about the social aspect of schooling? If a child has anxiety or some other issue, it is likely they will never put themselves out there willingly to make a few friends. A child with no peers is very disappointing and could possibly be the start of a whole new world of issues.  




      English language video / articles

          As I watched the video, I did as it said to quickly jot down what came to mind with the two sentences and was I surprised! Not only were the ideas similar, they were identical to their interpretation, down to the drinks. I know one of the purposes of language is to help interpret the world around us, but I had never noticed just how much. 

          I was also taken by the dates corresponding to each quote I read on the article. I was not expecting such early dates. After examining the dates and what I read, it gave me a new thought that maybe language is meant to revolutionize with the times: It is a trademark of each passing generation. This thought intrigued me as well as changed my feelings toward the "technological destruction" of the English language. It is up to teachers to teach and students to learn the true machanics of the language (sentences, grammar, etc.) However, the changes each generation brings for short-hand does not effect that as a whole. It makes planning and note taking much faster, and in some instances, you could say helps a student succeed.

      1 comment:

      1. The relationship to words, power and language is pretty interesting. We will talk more about this on Tuesday!

        ReplyDelete