Friday, January 18, 2013

The Future of Work

                       I believe the future of  work is technology-based. 




I found many of the points in this video intriguing. 

The first, twenty years ago there was no internet. I was born twenty years ago and as I sat quietly and compared my childhood to those that I see now, I am almost deeply disturbed. I did not own a cell phone until I was thirteen and even then, it was a tracfone. Now, kids of five years old run around sporting their Iphones, Ipads, Tablets, etc. I grew up country: playing outside, swinging, using my imagination and my family for entertainment. The children I met recently at a daycare would not play outside. They simply wanted their games and devices. 

The second was that of the mobile phone industry not existing twenty years ago. Phones have grown so close to the heart in recent years. A mother can keep track of her children, a child can have limitless access to their parents while away from home, and I can speak with anyone at anytime. I use my android in class to keep track of slideshows every day. I keep my class schedule in line, my homework in hand, and any piece of information I could want to know at hand. I could not imagine being without my android, even though it is only just under a year old. 

Third, I found the facts about the ReCaptchas very interesting. I would have never imagined they were compiled from scanned books a computer could not read (although I don't feel so bad that I struggle with them as well.) That is the type of information I enjoy learning: the kind that you never thought of or researched, you just happen upon it one day. 


 This is a typical modern classroom. I did not see a smart board until I was almost a senior in high school. I attended a Private Catholic high school with no funding. There was one computer lab that doubled as the junior/senior religion room. The majority of classrooms contained a computer that did not function correctly. It wasn't until I reached college that I began learning the ins and outs of new technology. I have always had technology at home but never was interested until I had to start taking online classes, applying for college online, and all the other things my professors have taught me to use. Each day I am taught something new that will open more doors in my future.



 
 

1 comment:

  1. I too am disturbed at the nature deprivation of many children in today's society! Parents need to create rules and boundaries for technology use outside of school and take their kids outside to play!

    However, technology has many benefits and as educators we need to capitalize on them!

    I enjoyed reading your thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete