Thursday, March 14, 2013

My View- Video Games

These videos caused me to have more faith in the learning capabilities of video games. I was that person that saw no use for games but violence and large amounts of wasted money.
The third video caused me to look at games from a new level. Salen claimed that children enjoy games because they know without a doubt that they can succeed. After hearing that, I contemplated on my own that that particular theory holds true. I am not a big gaming fan and to be honest, have hardly ever picked up a controller, but I do enjoy word games on my phone and such. I, too, feel comfortable knowing there is a solution that can be found.
I also believe in the claim in video two that games increase learning and problem-solving. Most people I know that are the best problem solvers, are also the biggest gamers. They also are fantastic multi-taskers as opposed to myself, that can barely walk and breathe. After watching the first video, that definitely became clear to me! I feel like I have a better view of how video games can work effectively in the student's favor.

Using Games in the Classroom
Santeri Koivisto and Joel Levin worked to produce MinecraftEdu, a play on the popular video game Minecraft. The new version allows for tailoring to curriculum for teachers. It is used for math, science, and computer science especially.

1 comment:

  1. Outstanding use of the arguments and claims made in the video to support your view on video games and learning!

    ReplyDelete